Fr. Samuel Mwaka
Founder and Director of PACTA and pastor of Palabek Parish
PACTA - Program for Awareness, Counseling and Treatment of Alcoholism
The 20 years of insurgency and internal displacement of the people in the camps have led to serious alcohol abuse due to frustration and despair. The individual alcoholics, the family and the whole community feel the consequences of this abuse. This includes the pastoral agents (catechists and even some priests) and their families.
WHO (World Health Organization) ranks Uganda #1 in the world in alcohol consumption and abuse. In the Archdiocese of Gulu we attribute the following to alcohol abuse:
• Continuous poverty.
• Domestic violence and conflict in general.
• Increase in sexual immorality and widespread of HIV/AIDS.
• Lack of concern for education and moral upbringing of children.
• Poor or lack of participation and commitment to Church activities.
• High rate of suicide and premature death.
It is with this in mind that in 2004 the Archdiocese founded PACTA (Program for Awareness, Counseling and Treatment of Alcoholism).
Activities of PACTA include:
• Education and awareness through workshops, seminars and radio on the nature and danger of alcoholism.
• Counseling the individuals and families affected by alcoholism.
• Promotion of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), Alanon and Alateen groups. www.aa.org
Many cases need in-patient treatment hence PACTA appeals to well wishers to contribute toward:
• The establishment of an Alcohol Rehabilitation Center for the whole Northern Region. The only center of this type is far away in Kampala and too expensive for the majority. Full treatment in Kampala costs $25 per day for 90 days plus transportation and after-care.
• More sensitization and awareness training.
• At least one vehicle as a means of transport to cover the vast Archdiocese of Gulu.
The founder and director of PACTA is Fr. Samuel Mwaka who is also pastor of Palabek Parish, which is about 80 miles northeast of Gulu.
You can reach Fr. Samuel via email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. His telephone number is +256 772 945 440.